The Indranarayanpur Educational Project of Banchbo helps a few of the millions to realize their dreams of school.
Indranaraynpur is about 120 kms from Kolkata, in the Sunderbans. 630 families, most of them minorities and backward classes make for a population of about 5000. This place lacks basic health awareness, sanitation and amenities as the lone Gurudaspur PHC & Patharpratima block hospital, catering to a population of 40,000 lack electricity and vaccination for snake bites, a common incidence in the area. The area suffers from malnutrition, water borne diseases, infection and common ailments.
Irrigation facilities of the state do not reach here. Further, there are no state sponsored animal husbandary or poultry schemes. Paddy is the primary agriculture. Labor deaths rates are low. However, there is no awareness on AIDS and STD and contraceptive measures.
School dropout rate is alarming and scare are the facilities for education. The nearest high school is 11 kms away from Indranarayanpur and the teacher to student ratio stands at 2 to 3 for 250 to 300 students. Illiteracy levels run high ranging from 3 in a literate family to 6 in illiterate families. Average age of marriage for boys is 18 - 20 years and 16- 17 for girls. People here are mainly daily wage earners, field workers and fishermen. 70% of the family is under the BPL, earning less than Rs. 500.00/ month!
Banchbo in Education in Indranarayanpur
Banchbo conducts Supplementary Evening Education Centre at Indranarayanpur Primary School.
- Total number of enrolled students is 84 - 48 boys and 36 girls.
- Three teachers (1 graduate, 1 higher secondary pass, 1 secondary pass) look after the teaching department.
- Classes are conducted for standard I to V.
- Electricity is provided using generator.
- The students are provided with books, exercise books, writing materials, geometrical instruments etc.
- Regular health checkups are conducted for both students and parents
- Specialist Camp are organisied periodically for eye, medicine, cardiology etc., both for students & parents.
- Medicines are distributed among students and their parents for free.
- Nutritional supplements are distributed under Nutrition Program
- Dresses are provided to the students.
- Educational stipend for deserving students to support higher studies.
- Recreational activities are organised regularly and students are encouraged to take active part in whatever capacity they can.
- Educational tours and nature camps are also conducted to teach the importance of preservation of natural resources that Sunderban offers